Hurricane Re-entry Pass
The purpose of the “re-entry pass” is to allow property owners and long term renters swift re-entry to the Town of North Topsail Beach after a disaster event so that individuals can check their property and gather belongings, if necessary. This pass helps limit the number of people in the Town so that public safety personnel can effectively protect property and the public from hazards that may still be present after a disaster and so that the damage assessment team can perform its duties. Please note that residents with a North Carolina driver's license with an NTB address listed on it do NOT need a hurricane re-entry pass.
When is a Pass is Needed?
A re-entry pass may not be needed each time the Town of North Topsail Beach is evacuated. Emergency responders will assess the conditions of the Town after an event, and Town officials will determine when conditions are safe enough for re-entry. There are three priority groups that are considered during re-entry. They are:
- Priority One Group: Essential personnel for law enforcement, public officials, emergency medical services, fire services, utilities, and damage assessment teams.
- Priority Two Group: Property owners, long-term renters, and property managers who are eligible for a re-entry pass. (Re-entry pass needed if officials determine limited access is warranted.)
- Priority Three Group: Visitors and general public (including contractors).
Please bear in mind that several hazards may exist after an event such as downed cable and power lines, dune breaches, and debris that can make roads within the Town impassable. It may be necessary to limit access to one end of the Town and not the other. Curfews are likely to be in place if pass only re-entry is in effect.
Also, the other two towns on Topsail Island (Surf City and Topsail Beach) may choose to allow property owners or the public onto the island before the Town of North Topsail Beach. The media may confuse North Topsail Beach and Topsail Beach.
The Town recommends that property owners get their information directly from Town officials by checking the Town’s website and registering for CodeRed.
Who gets a pass?
Each property owner with proof of residency (current utility bill with NTB address/tax bill) and picture ID receives TWO re-entry passes. Each long-term renter with proof of residency (current utility bill with NTB address), current lease, and picture ID will receive TWO re-entry passes. Please place the stickers on your windshield at the bottom on the driver’s side so they are visible to public safety personnel.
When can I get a pass?
The Town encourages everyone to get their passes as early as possible, preferably before hurricane season begins (June 1st). If the storm is on its way, it’s too late to get a pass. The Town will not issue passes within 72 hours of predicted landfall. Passes are issued at Town Hall Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Lost passes can be replaced with proof of residency, ID, and $25 for each pass replaced. Please fill out and turn in another hurricane re-entry pass form.
What if I don't have a pass?
After an event, the Town will allow entry with proof of residency (such as a utility bill with NTB address) and ID at the barricade. Please keep in mind that this will slow down the re-entry process and obtaining a re-entry pass before hurricane season begins is highly recommended.
Passes issued in 2019 or prior are no longer valid. New passes have been issued in 2020 and are valid through 2023. Passes are issued on a 3-year cycle.
If a storm is on the way, and you are coming to Town Hall to get your pass, please be patient. Do not go to extra measures to come to get your pass. If the Town issues an evacuation and limits access, you will still be able to get on the island with the documents listed below. Please get your pass before hurricane season starts and not at the last minute, as Town Staff has other preparations to make. As such, no hurricane re-entry passes will be issued in the 72 hours before the storm event.
Who can apply?
- New property owners/long-term renters
- Property owners/long-term renters that have not received new passes since January 2020. You should apply for new ones as soon as possible, as old ones are no longer valid.
- NOTE: Residents with an NC driver's license with an NTB address listed on it do NOT need a hurricane re-entry pass.
Fill out the Re-Entry Pass Application 2021-2023 and either:
- Email it to our Office Specialist.
- Mail it to Town Hall at the following address: Town of North Topsail Beach, Attn: Re-Entry Passes, 2008 Loggerhead Ct, North Topsail Beach, NC 28460.
- Return it to Temporary Town Hall in person.
If applicable, download the Property Manager Re‐Entry Pass Application. Please complete and return the application in person or by mail.