Public Works Technician (Full Time)
General Statement of Duties
Performs a variety of responsible unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance, repair, and construction work on streets, buildings, grounds, beach, and the storm water management system.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class performs a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled, and occasionally skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance, operation, and repair of streets, sidewalks, drainage systems, buildings, grounds, and other facilities. Work also includes repairing or replacing street signs; painting markings in public parking lots; participating in vector control, and helping with preparation for various meetings and special events for the Town. Work involves operating a variety of tools and light, medium and heavy equipment to build, repair and replace streets and other infrastructure. Employees are subject working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as loud noises, vibration, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, and oils. Work with solid waste may subject the employee to the final standards of OSHA on bloodborne pathogens. Employees may be subject to standby work for storms. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation and inspection for adherence to instructions and standard trade and safety practices.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Operates construction equipment such as dump trucks, mowers, loaders, tampers, trenchers, air compression driven equipment, and other related light and medium equipment; performs routine preventive maintenance and minor repairs to equipment.
- Participates in asphalt repair to streets, sidewalks, walkways and other street facilities; erects street signs; installs and repairs beach access fence and other fences.
- Repairs, maintains and cleans storm sewers and ditches; performs trash and litter collection from public areas and beach cans.
- Participates in mowing, weed eating, mulching, planting, fertilizing, irrigating, pest control, and other landscape and vegetation maintenance tasks for rights-of-way and parks.
- Assists with or makes plumbing, electrical, and carpentry repairs and/or light construction projects; cleans buildings, paints, replaces light bulbs, arranges furniture, and performs other building and facility maintenance and repair tasks.
- Operates back hoes and loaders to remove sand from sea wall, remove debris and tires from the beach, and removal or burial of dead marine animals; operates tractor with side arm mower.
- Operates mosquito spraying equipment. Maintains simple records of work activities.
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of Town streets, sidewalks, and driveways; erects street signs and traffic signs; paints street markings; performs welding tasks when needed.
- Assists other Town departments as needed; assists with preparation for special events.
- In weather emergencies, performs tasks such as removing downed trees, or clearing debris Mechanical maintenance such as maintaining Town Fleet of vehicles and equipment.
- Help diagnose and repair electrical and hydraulic systems that occur. Priority Emergency vehicle maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of tools, materials and equipment used in public works construction and maintenance work.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work. Some knowledge of municipal maintenance and construction practices.
- Some knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to operations of motorized equipment.
- Skill in the use of light to medium motorized construction and maintenance equipment and a variety of hand and construction tools.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, supervisors, and other employees and work effectively in teams.
- Ability to operate light to medium equipment with skill and safety. Ability to prepare simple written records of work activities.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; 50 pounds of force frequently; and 20 pounds constantly.
- Must possess the visual acuity to operate mobile equipment such as the loader and dump truck in a safe manner.
Desirable Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school and some experience in semi-skilled maintenance or construction work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license.
- May require possession of pesticide applicator certification
Please email application and resume to the Town Manager
The Town of North Topsail Beach is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. We are proud to be a Drug-free and Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an E-VERIFY Employer.