Protect people from flood hazard.
- Prepare your family (FEMA “Know Your Risks brochure).
- Do not walk through flood waters.
- Do not drive through a flooded area.
- Stay away from power lines and electrical wires.
Turn around, don't drown!
Most flood fatalities happen because people try to drive through deadly waters rather than avoid them. (Source: Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2005)
- Pay attention to barricades. Don't ignore them by driving past them.
- Do not drive through standing water on roads or in parking lots.
- The average automobile can be swept off the road in 12 inches of moving water, and roads covered by water are prone to collapse.
- Attempting to drive through water also may stall your engine, with the potential to cause irreparable damage if you try to restart the engine.
- If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route.